The numbers of those cases are high in Maharashtra, Gujarat, and Delhi, areas which are seeing an exponential rise in Covid-19 patients.
What is Mucormycosis?
Although the disease is rare but extremely serious which may end in blindness followed by death if left untreated. People undergoing Covid treatment are at risk of being exposed to the present disease thanks to their compromised immune state.
Also, the administration of steroids in treating critically ill Covid-19 patients could trigger the expansion of the fungus within the body.
The pores of the moulds might be inhaled and start affecting the sinuses, the brain, and therefore the lungs. The disease could pose serious life-threatening complications in patients with diabetes, cancer, or HIV having weak systems. Mucormycosis should be suspected if the patient is having:
- Sinusitis: nasal blockage, nasal congestion alongside blackish/bloody discharge.
- Local pain within the jaw and therefore the cheekbone. One-sided pain with facial swelling.
- Blackish discoloration over the nasal bridge.
- Blurred or diplopia
- Chest pain with shortness of breath
- Severe coughing and bloody vomit.
Normal to mild cases of Mucormycosis is often treated with antifungal but patients detect the disease quite late after it’s progressed tons. Severe cases of the disease require surgery eventually to prevent the spread of the infection to the brain by removing the attention or part of the jaw bone.
“Patients would wish to return to terms with the loss of function thanks to a missing jaw — difficulty with chewing, swallowing, facial aesthetics, and loss of self-esteem, doctors say. Be it the attention or upper jawbone, these are often replaced with appropriate artificial substitutes or prostheses.
While prosthetic replacement of the missing facial structures can commence once the patient stabilizes after surgery, doctors it’s important to reassure him about the supply of such interventions rather than leaving him to panic with the sudden unforeseen loss, augmenting a post-Covid stress disorder which is already a reality,” said Dr. B Srinivasan, a maxillofacial prosthodontist.
Another way of managing the disease in recovered Covid-19 patients is the correct quantity of steroid usage and continuous monitoring of the blood glucose levels even after being discharged, as reported by doctors. To take care of hydration, normal saline (IV) is run and the patient is kept on antifungal therapy for about 4-6 weeks.
Management of Mucormycosis:
- Monitor and maintain the blood sugar level in suspected patients so it doesn’t affect the immunity of the body.
- Reduce the steroid drug therapy with the aim of discontinuation. Use the drugs only in emergency situations and only under medical supervision.
- Discontinue immunomodulating drugs or any unprescribed drug.
- Monitor the disease’s spread using radio-imaging to the progressing of the infection.
Also Read: All About Sickle Cell Disease (Symptoms And Cure)!