- Dr Khandate stated some babies were remitted at the hospital while others were brought from outside. The recovered babies were transferred to the other units.
TheNewsDesk, Nagpur: On Saturday, at least ten premature babies have died after a fire broke out in the neonatal care unit of District General Hospital in Bhandara at around 2 am.
Seven other babies were retrieved by the staff. Prima facie it seems that the fire broke out due to a short circuit. A doctor and a nurse were on duty at the time of the incident.
The fire brigade was stationed and the fire was brought under curb.
Dr Khandate stated some babies were remitted at the hospital while others were brought from outside. The recovered babies were transferred to the other units.
He stated, “The staff tried their best to save the babies. Top officials, including deputy director of health services Sanjay Jaiswal, district collector Sandeep Kadam and SP, visited the spot.”
The exact cause of death would be discovered after postmortem, the doctor stated that the relatives were yet to be informed.
Uddhav Thackeray, Chief Minister, Maharashtra addressed to Health Minister, Rajesh Tope and district collector with Superintendent of Police of Bhandara District. He has also established scrutiny.
Rajesh Tope, Health Minister, Maharashtra has declared an ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh each to the relation of the dead.
Union home minister Amit Shah has manifested pain over the fire disturbance. “I am pained beyond words. My thoughts and condolences are with bereaved families,” tweeted the Union Home Minister.
PM Narendra Modi has also revealed regret over the unfortunate incident. “Heart-wrenching tragedy in Bhandara, Maharashtra, where we have lost precious young lives,” tweeted PM Modi.
Source: Times of India